Commercial Plan Review
- Before a building permit can be issued. A development plan must be submitted to the planning and community development division for review and approval by the city planning commission. (Code of Ordinances Sec. 112-8) Consult with the Planning Department 750-8550. Building plans and development plans may be reviewed simultaneously.
- Plans will be reviewed on a first come first served basis.
- The Plan review will normally take no more than two weeks.
- Plan review fee is one half the building permit fee and is added at the time of permit issue. There is no fee if a permit is not issued.
- The plans examiner will need one set of plans in pdf format and one set of paper plans (field set). Please bind plans into reasonably manageable sets not greater than 50 sheets by discipline.
- For projects greater than $100,000; or bars and restaurants without a fire sprinkler system greater than 2000 sf, one plan set to be signed and stamped by an Arkansas licensed design professional. Arkansas licensed engineer shall affix his stamp and sign one copy of all structural drawings. The stamped structural designs may be submitted separately.
- Digital stamps will be accepted with a letter identifying the sheets with digital stamps. Letter shall be on the designer's letterhead with appropriate stamp and signature.
- Plumbing plans may be submitted by a licensed design professional or licensed master plumber. State approval, for plumbing and gas only, is not required.
- Basis of design calculations (manual N, HAP, ASHRAE, checksum) shall be provided by a licensed design professional or licensed HVAC Contractor
- For buildings not designed to the prescriptive tables of the energy code (total building performance design) a compliance report (COMcheck) stamped by the design professional shall be submitted.
- After the plans Examiner has reviewed the plans a letter listing items that do not meet code requirements. The letter is sent to the contractor and/or the designer. After comments are addressed plans will be approved for construction.
The following plans may be deferred:
- Plumbing plan must be approved prior to issuance of plumbing permit
- HVAC basis of design (manual N, HAP, ASHRAE, Checksum) must be submitted prior to issuance of mechanical permit.
- Kitchen exhaust and hazardous exhaust system plans must be approved and on site prior to installation.
- Fire sprinkler plans must be approved and on site prior to beginning sprinkler work.
- Fire Alarm plans must be approved and on site prior to beginning fire alarm work.
- Stamped structural steel plans must be approved and on site prior to erection of structural steel.
Building design criteria
Ground snow load 10 psf
Wind design speed (Vult) risk category II 115 mph
Subject to damage from weathering Severe
Subject to termite damage Yes
Frost depth line 18 in
Winter design temp. 10 deg F
Air freezing index 414
Mean annual Temp 58.3 deg F
Current codes as of April 1, 2018 are listed below. All construction with permit application after this date shall be built to these codes.
- 2012 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code Vol. I – Fire (based on ICC Fire Code)
- 2012 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code Vol. II – Building (based on ICC Building Code)
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- 2010 Arkansas Mechanical Code
- 2006 Arkansas Plumbing Code
- 2006 Arkansas Fuel Gas Code
- 2014 Arkansas Energy Conservation Code (based on 2009 IECC)